Re: CGA Use with HBA in Shim6 IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

El 19/07/2006, a las 16:52, Bound, Jim escribió:

Hi Marcello,

Well my view is specs cannot make assumptions about market deployment the question first to ask is would IPsec work.

i agree with this

however, it is imho completelly valid to evaluate different solutions based on their deployment costs.

A solution based on IPSec requires either pre shared keys between all the nodes in the internet or certificates for all the nodes of the internet. This is a huge deployment obstacle. So this solution does present this problem and needs to be taken into account when evaluating different solutions. A solution that does not requires this would require less deployment effort. Of course this is not the only (or even most important) consideration when evaluating alternative solutions but it is indeed an important element imho, do you agree?

regards, marcelo

None of us have a crystal ball and our engineering work here is usually focused on the protocol behavior and that it does no harm and does not cause interoperability problems.

/jim

-----Original Message-----
From: marcelo bagnulo braun [mailto:marcelo@it.uc3m.es]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:57 AM
To: Bound, Jim
Cc: shim6@psg.com; Pekka Savola; Iljitsch van Beijnum
Subject: Re: CGA Use with HBA in Shim6 IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

Hi Jim,

El 11/07/2006, a las 17:25, Bound, Jim escribió:

I see this point.  Clearly public or pre-shared PKI has to
exist yes.
But enclaves of network users will have this association is the
assumption.  So if we are not in some enclave we would need to join
one to send each other files via IPsec with encrypt.  The
enclaves are
being built now.

As i understand it, the only way to make the shim6 security
based on IPSec is to assume that a global PKI is deployed,
including client certificates (i.e. not only server
certificates) so that it is possible to secure any-to-any
communication.

 From what i understand such global pki is not in place yet
and it doesn't looks like it will be anytime soon if ever.

So, i really don't think it is reasonable to build the security on the
shim6 relying on such global pki deployment

does anybody think that it would be acceptable to build the
shim6 security based on the  assumption of a global PKI deployment?

Regards, marcelo

Sorry I missed your point.

/jim