Re: IPsec !?, was: Re: CGA Use with HBA in Shim6 IETF Meeting July 10, 2006

El 28/07/2006, a las 9:45, Francis Dupont escribió:

 In your previous mail you wrote:

Of course, we would have a very simple way out of this debate by
mandating IPSEC, or more precisely only solving the "session
continuity"
problem if IPSEC is used.

IPsec keeps coming up but so far, nobody has been able to explain how
to make IPsec work between random hosts connected to the internet that
don't have any shared state yet.

And how exactly is that harder than convincing random hosts that have no
   shared state to trust HBA or CGA information?

=> HBA or CGA are self contained, IKE requires strong authentication
which can work only with an infrastructure or shared state.

   In theory, one can use the same validation for IKE that one is
   ready to use for SHIM6,

=> no, this is the opposite: authentication is stronger than ownership,
which is stronger than address sharing, so IKE > CGA > HBA, and one
idea is to use IPsec/IKE to provide SHIM6 security when for other reasons
IPsec/IKE is already available (exactly the same limited applicability
than the IPsec to protect MIPv6 MN-CN routing optimization).

   and reuse IKEv2,

=> I agree for a "reuse" when we have already the "use".

i think i fully agree here, but just to state things clear, there is no general any-to-any mechanism to prove address ownership using IPSec which is what is provided by CGA/HBA, this is why IPSec is not a possible substitute to HBA/CGA in shim

regards, marcelo

   MOBIKE

=> MOBIKE has in fact not directly usable for multihoming (which was not
in its real (i.e., not the IETF) charter).

   and the like.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@point6.net