Re: visibility of identifier in shim6 payload packet (was: Re: IPsec !?...)

El 02/08/2006, a las 16:29, Francis Dupont escribió:

   i mean, as i understand this, part of the shim6 processing will be
   performed by the BITW device. I guess we have two options so far:
   - or we integrate all the shim6 processing in the BITW device

=> this is my idea. This was never considered for MIPv6, IMHO because
the MIPv6 target was very small devices and the proxy-MIPv4 stuff
was already heavily patented.

so, in order to do this options, do we need to do any changes to the protocol spec?

As i understand it, what is needed woudl be to mention that this is the expected way to implement the shim processing if BITW is used... something else?

- or we include the ULID pair option in data packets (when BITW is in
   use), so that the BITW device can hace access to all the information
   that is needed and do not need to perform all the shim6 processing
   itself

   My suggestion would be to:
   - adopt the first option now
- make an extension to shim later so that this BITW optimized mode is
   supported

   makes sense?

=> I don't understand how we can have both options at the same time.

i am not sure what do you mean at the same time.... these would be different ways to implement BITW compatibility that need to be negotiated in the shim6 protocol (or either the processing is done completelly in the BITW device or the ULID pair option is included in the payload header, so that the BITW device can restore the ULIDs)

fwiw i am perfectly ok with doing only the first option... does anyone has a problem with adopting only the first option above? (at least for now)

Regards, marcelo

Regards

Francis.Dupont@fdupont.fr