Re: visibility of identifier in shim6 payload packet

El 08/08/2006, a las 15:50, Jari Arkko escribió:

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

shim without proper security is simply inacceptable. We must provide a
security mechanism (at least one) from the start of the shim will not fly.

I fully agree with this.

And saying use IPSec in the security considerations section will not
fly, because oportunistic IPSec does not make a proper job and pre
shared keys and PKI are not feasible in the short term.

The short version of my opinion is that I do
not see IPsec as a mechanism that satisfies
the goals of Shim6.

The longer version: I do like modular design,
and I don't mind having the possibility of several
different methods, possibly including IPsec, to
exist in addition to the mandatory to implement
mechanism for Shim6.

i am perfectly ok with this modular approach and supporting different security moduls that can be added later

moreover, i also like Francis suggestion to _re-use_ IPSec for security _when_ the peers are already using IPSec for their communications and it happens that for this particular pair of communicating peers, the tools for providing authentications are in place for that particular pair of hosts (i.e. the hosts already have a pre shared key or they are using certificates issued with a common trust anchor point)

but the shim6 protocol needs to have a default security mechanism that applies for the general case and IPSec is not it

Regards, marcelo