Re: Specific problems in the Ericsson IPR statement?

Jari Arkko wrote:
Folks,

In the IPR discussion a specific problem that was raised
was the generality of the defensive clause. As you may
remember, the statement was formulated such that from
Ericsson point of view anyone can use this technology
for free. But only as long as the user do not sue Ericsson
for some of his own patents (on any field).

Do I read it correctly that this says:
 - Company X has patent Z
 - Company X implements this thing
 - Ericsson implements thing with patent Z
 - Company X can't protect it's patent as it implement this.

Effectively that makes all patents of any company void when they would implement this then. Simply ask Ericsson to cover them up when needed.
I guess there are a LOT of companies which won't agree with the above.

Did I misread/misunderstand?

Greets,
 Jeroen

(/me who sometimes wonders if patents in IETF related works are there to protect the invention or to simply force people to pay big bucks...) (On one side this would be good as then there are no patent issues anymore ;)