RE: WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

Brian,

I can agree with what you say below for sure.  Except for host stacks.  I think if there is enough money on the table vendors will collaborate quite well.  Look at RDMA if the IETF moves to slow here trust me RDMA with copy avoidance et al will happen while we are still discussing it in the IETF.  The IETF is too slow now and in the mission to find the perfect spec we have lost time-to-market in our processes.  Not all host stacks have to be used to adopt a technology like RDMA but if just 3 or 4 major vendors agree it does cause an effect in the market.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see the IETF move faster, better, and lately in a more fair process.  And one thing that would really help is something I said to Scott Bradner (one of the area directors I keep voting for fyi and him an allison run one of the most efficient areas in the IETF and why I have hopes for RDMA in the IETF) at a plenary about 2 years ago is: "It is imperative that "consistency" be used across the IETF.  For example lets take the silence vs no silence for consensus in a working group. One does one thing the other does the other.  For processes of governing I think this should be consistent whether I am working on IPv6 transition or Routing or SCTP.  It is not today.  Also Area Directors need to be more like "managers" than "engineers".  And leave technical work to us in the working group and the chairs.  My view is the IESG is a management body more than a technical body.

But if we want to start an advanced transition area I will support that but we need that started A.S.A.P.

regards,
/jim