Re: WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

- I think the idea behind having a small set of "core" transition mechanism handled by the "official" v6 ops IETF wg might make sense.
- but I also think that we are still in very early stage of IPv6 deployment (compared to the full blown IPv6-only internet that might happen in a few years... ;-)))
- which tells me that it is not the time to completly cut solutions/protocols/ that might fit in some environments. It is just too early for a so important technology for the future of the internet (i.e. ipv6).

My suggestion is:
- have a process in IETF (compared to Jim, I can't think of another organisation to do that, and would be not an overall good idea to do it) that would work on all non-core transition mechanism (i.e. mechanism not chosen by v6ops as wg items) and the goal, for now, would have them published, if agreeable by the process as either Informational or experimental.
- this way, those people working on products/solutions/experimentation/.... will have a forum to discuss these mechanisms and have a spec that will produce interoperable implementations through a stable document mechanism (i.e. RFC publication)
- based on feedback over time, implementations, "market acceptance: i.e. how successful this or that solution is used and deployed", ..., the v6ops and/or the IESG and/or the right instance in IETF could reconsider, later on, to "promote" one or many of those "experimental/informational specs to the standard track.
- I'm enough convinced that I can commit to spend time on this to start/work on this proposed process with the ADs/v6ops chairs/... if this is an accepted idea within the community.

To me, it is much highly prefereable to have interoperable implementations of non-core transition mechanisms that many specs that are floating around without any status and stability that will produce non-interoperable implementations.

Marc.