Re: draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv4survey-02.txt

-- mercredi, septembre 18, 2002 22:40:34 +0300 Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote/a écrit:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Marc Blanchet wrote:
<newtext>
The refid field identifies uniquely the reference clock a ntp is based
on.  This refid is a 32-bit field in the NTP packet. So it cannot carry
an IPv6  address without a protocol change. The discussions in the ntp
dev team and  ntp author around how to resolve this issue went to put a
"compressed" ipv6  address in this refid field. This in fact changes the
current protocol.

Other than the refid change, there is no other changes needed to support
IPv6 in NTP.
</newtext>
Some reference to that change (to use a hash of a part of the address, I
recall) should be there too.
not sure we need to go deep in this document. I agree that it would be nice to put a reference to a draft on what is chosen to resolve the issue.

Is there other than the expired I-D?
none that I'm aware.

Has
the change in the protocol been ratified or in the process of being done
so?
- process was done within the ntp dev team and the small group of interested people. there is no ntp wg I know of.

I let the ntp author decide how to do this. I think he had in mind a important rev of the ntp documents. IPv6 refid would be a very small part of it.

Marc.

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie
tel: +1-418-656-9254x225