Re: comment on unmanaged analysis presentation/doc

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> case A where IPv4 nat is present:
>  - teredo is one mechanism. In fact, what is needed is ipv6 over udp-ipv4
> (i.e. nat traversal).
>  - in this space, tsp with udp-ipv4 encapsulation is also a viable
> solution. It also enables the unmanaged network to receive automatic data
> needed for the unmanaged network: i.e. ipv6 network prefix for example.
> (reference = draft-parent-blanchet-ngtrans-tsp-teredo-00.txt).
>  - the unmanaged draft says: "A variant of the [TEREDO] technology could be
> used to establish
> tunnels over UDP when the client cannot use a global IPv4 address;
> this variant is however not standardized."
>   (if this text refers to our draft, then the comment is not appropriate:
> i.e. the variant is not standardized. teredo is also not standardized yet.)

Teredo does more than just sets up a tunnel.  In the case of NAT, in
particular, keeping the pipe open is also an important task.  The draft
does not explicitly address this, I believe.

Further discussion on teredo/tsp should probably be sent to ngtrans.