Re: ISP scenarios comments (multicast)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Brian Haberman wrote:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, bkhabs wrote:
> >
> > > Pekka,

> > > wrote.
> > >
> > > Are you talking standards or implementations?
> >
> > Both.
> >
> > As for standards, there is the problem with MSDP.  Another partially
> > related one is related to site-local group scoping.  There needs to be
> > some feature like 'bsr-border' to site-local scopes to work properly
> > inside only one PIM domain, I think.
>
> I brought up the issue of site-locals and PIM in a PIM for v6 draft a
> few years ago.  The PIM group came to consensus that in order to use
> site-locals in certain PIM messages (e.g. C-RP or Bootstrap) then a
> PIM domain border MUST be the same as the site-local border.
>
> That draft was eventually merged into the new pim draft.

Ok; this is still a bit problematic with the one PIM domain requirement..
:-/

> > > For the short term definitely.
> >
> > I believe most don't realize that's the only option at the moment.
>
> Agreed.  The interesting thing is that, just like in v4, multicast
> in v6 is lagging in development effort.

Yes.  This is sad as SSM video broadcasts could be one "killer"
application for IPv6 (it would be available for v4 too.. :-)

> Another possibility is whether or not RFC 3306 can be exploited to
> help with the issue of RP location and such.  Haven't had much time
> to look into that though.

This might be an interesting point to develop more.  It's quite possible
if we can hard-code assumptions about address assignment for the RP there.
Possibly through an additional bit flag in the address. This would have to
go to the PIM implementation then, though.