RE: raw thoughts on v6 firewalls

Unless I'm suffering total brain failure (never out of
the question), every extension header is supposed to have
the length in the same place, and one use is exactly that
reason.

grepgrepgrep...from RFC2460:

   With one exception, extension headers are not examined or processed
   by any node along a packet's delivery path, until the packet reaches
   the node (or each of the set of nodes, in the case of multicast)
   identified in the Destination Address field of the IPv6 header.
   There, normal demultiplexing on the Next Header field of the IPv6
   header invokes the module to process the first extension header, or
   the upper-layer header if no extension header is present.  The
   contents and semantics of each extension header determine whether or
   not to proceed to the next header.  Therefore, extension headers must
   be processed strictly in the order they appear in the packet; a
   receiver must not, for example, scan through a packet looking for a
   particular kind of extension header and process that header prior to
   processing all preceding ones.

I suspect that someone excessively literal could read this as
a prohibition on intermediate nodes *looking* any deeper into the
packet than the hop-by-hop, which would effectively kill firewalls
and complex packet classification for QoS, but in practice we *know*
that firewalls will get built.

I can't off hand think of any specific reason that the classical-
music-ignorant Superdumb Firewall Model 88888 couldn't skip the
"Beethoven extension header" that plays the Fifth on iFruit
99999 hosts and go on to the TCP header, but there may be a corner
case buried there somewhere.  It's worth a look.

Firewall products are starting to appear; I wonder how they will handle
extension headers they don't recognize.  My guess is they will discard
the packet, which is the paranoid (read: "correct if you're a firewall")
thing to do.

Pekka, are there other v6-specific firewall issues, and is this
the right place to discuss them?

		--Rod