Re: unmanaged solutions comments

-- jeudi, septembre 19, 2002 15:54:09 -0700 Fred Templin <osprey67@yahoo.com> wrote/a écrit:

I should probably comment on this, since I've spent some time thinking
about the subject recently:

--- Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca> wrote:
automatic tunnels techniques usually mean (by design) that the path is
not  "controlled".
In the case of ISATAP, "control" is provided by the site security
recommendations in the base document. If a particular deployment
perceives a need, stronger degrees of control might be possible by fusing
end-to-end (or, end-to-edge) mechanisms with the ISATAP base
specification. This would result in a "semi-automatic-automatic" tunnel;
cumbersome wording, but still a useful mechanism.
agreed. my statement was generic, knowing that there are many variations of this.

semi-automatic tunnels techniques like tunnel brokers can be deployed so
that it does have less sub-optimal forward/reverse paths. It depends on
where/how you deploy them. If they are near to you, network
topologically  speaking, then the sub-optimal paths might be not that a
problem.
This is never a problem with automatic tunnels (even when they are
"semi-automatic-automatic"); route optimization is enabled by default.
some automatic tunnels are not so much route optimized:
just one example: 6to4 user, sending a packet to 2001:.. through some 6to4 relay. the reverse path could be very different...

Marc.