Re: ocean: do not boil

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > if i want my web site seen by both v4 and v6 users, then i can
> > connect it to v4 and v6 space and run dual stack.  in fact, i do so
> > today.  as v6 deploys, folk every useful site will do so.
>
> Alternatively, arrange to have a dual stack HTTP proxy in the right
> place. Effect is the same, but like a dual stack SMTP relay it allows
> a v4 only host to play HTTP with a v6 only host.

Note that Randy said 'want my web site seen by both v4 and v6 users', not
'want my client to reach both v4 and v6 sites'.

In all cases I can think of, if you want your web content be available for
both v4/v6 users, you should run it on dual stack at least for now: you
shouldn't have to rely on the the clients being able to perform transport
IP version changes (like with ALG).

>From the client perspective I agree that dual-stack web proxies seem like
a very interesting and probably quite robust approach.