Prior art on IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling

Dear friends,

It has very recently been brought to my attention that a defining work
on IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling exists dating back to Spring 1998 and entitled:

  "Virtual Ethernet: A New Approach to IPv6 Transition"

The work was prepared by a UCLA Masters Student named Quang Nguyen
who was advised by Dr. Lixia Zhang. The document describes the case
of intra-site tunneling when IPv4 multicast is deployed (as in 6over4)
but also gives a detailed study of the case in which IPv4 multicast is
absent (as in isatap).

Upon examining the document, I realized that concepts presented in
the isatap specification match up very closely with the prior art so
I contacted Dr. Zhang to arrange a meeting to discuss the similarities.
Dr. Zhang and I were able to meet today, and she has requested that an
acknowledgement to her student and a reference to the document be given
in the specification. This action will be taken asap in the next isatap
draft revision.

The document in question can be found at:

  http://irl.cs.ucla.edu/vet/report.ps

I would encourage other v6ops/ngtrans authors to examine this work for
prior art. For example, the isatap "automatic deprecation" and teredo
"automatic sunset" functions seem to have existing precedence in this
work.

Sincerely,

Fred Templin
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com