Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

Mike O'Connor wrote:
Marshall,

I wasn't sure how the four bit RPad field is used, but the thought of a
single RP limitation occurred to me as well.  I don't think that even if
the RPad allows for 16 RP's per group address it is large enough. There
have already been Access Grid conferences that have had thirty sites
join, each with their own RP. It's probably not a good idea to propose a
number that's already too small:) If there were 16 RP's per PIM domain
it might be enough.
The 4-bit RPad is a strawman.  The existing field is actually 8 bits
wide, so it is possible to extend it.  That is the kind of feedback
that I would like to see on this.  What are the operational issues
that could pop up.

Brian