Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to
  miss and therefore delete mis-posts.  so fix subscription addresses! ]

At 09:31 PM 10/16/2002 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
>Most switches work fine as is I believe, though flooding the multicasts
>all over the segment.. yet where is SSM?  I sure would like to have it..

that definition of working "fine" doesn't work for my campus. berkeley
researchers are investigating the use of relatively high-bandwidth
multicast (>10Mbps per stream) and i really don't want that flooding
on departmental segments with one receiver. other Internet2-connected
institutions are in similar positions, i think.

i agree with Bill's earlier comment: lack of IGMPv3 snooping in current
switches is a major obstacle to IPv4 SSM deployment, and lack of MLD
snooping will become an impediment to IPv6 SSM deployment.

i sure would like to have SSM too...

ken