RE: 3gpp transition solutions, revision -02

Hi,

sorry to step into the discussion so late. (I had computer trouble for a while!)

I would like to remind everybody that as IMS is _exclusively_ IPv6, and the NAT-PT (or a flavor of that) is just an interworking solution to a non-IMS network that supports IMS like services. (Confusing enough?;)

This means that IMS itself has no interworking problems, no NATs, no NAT-PTs, and no IPv4 - it is only IPv6. Thus, there are no problems inside the IMS. The NAT-PT would come to the picture if, for instance, you have to place a call to another "system" that does not support v6. (It may be that you have to do another kind of translation as well, e.g. SIP to H.323, or SIP to ISUP, or whatever.) The NAT-PT would be an interworking function to an outside world - not an internal part!

People seem to write all the time that with dual-stack you can fix the interworking problems of IMS. That however is not true, because you end up with normal NAT for your IPv4 connections. You cannot get (at least in certain areas of the world) enough IPv4 addresses to even support it as an interworking method and to have global addresses. In addition, you end up having a dual-stack in your phones until the end of time or to the point where the last _possible_ IPv4 device in the world would be extinct! These are just some of the reasons why 3GPP decided to have IPv6 only IMS.

Anyways, the 3GPP specifications (as Hesham pointed out) now say that this network/system, the IMS, is exclusively IPv6. We cannot change the specs, and there is no reason for changing them - the contrary. I would propose that we concentrate now on solving the problem instead of changing the problem.

Cheers,

Jonne.