RE: 3gpp transition solutions, revision -02

Hi Luc,

IMS is not only the SIP server, etc. It comprises the whole system. That is why the media stream between the nodes is actually part of IMS as well.

> So, consider I'm using IMS services, even if:
> - I have a dual-stack node,
> - I have sufficient IPv4 public addresses (some areas are
> still not constrainted)
> - I may just need private IPv4 address (its depends of your
> architectures)
> - SIP protocol is efficient enough to allow you to open IPv4
> and/or IPv6 communications,
> I can not use IPv4.
>
> So why not using DSTM + ROHC ?

Because then you would be using IPv4 as well, and you would have to have IPv4 on your terminal.

> Just a comment:
> A transition mechanism (whatever it is) would be necessary
> until I wanna offer services towards other IPv4-only SIP-based system.

Yes.

> Moreover, I think that dual-stack phones are usefull to use
> IPv4-only services not based on IMS, and those services may
> not be disregarded.

That is why we have the different scenarios (this is under the general scenarios). IMS is IPv6 only, but if you want to have, for example, a connection to your intranet that is IPv4 you can. However, the intranet is not part of the IMS.

Cheers,

Jonne.