RE: 6to4 usage scenarios

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
> I looked at your examples in section A.3, which talks about
> reflection attack against IPv4 nodes and IPv6 nodes using
> relay routers :
>
> src = X
> dst = Y
> src_v4 = 8.0.0.1
> dst_v4 = 9.0.0.2
>
> If Y is 2002:0500:0001::1, you mention that target 5.0.0.1
> would be bombed with reflected packets from 6to4 relay router.
> This happens because the relay router decapsulated the packet
> (removing src_v4 and dst_v4) and then *again* encapsulated
> in 6to4.

Right.

> As a relay router SHOULD not be doing this, can
> we not catch this case ? I agree that sending to a native
> V6 address with a forged source V6 address is a problem.

Yes, this can be caught easily (the way is shown in the draft), but
practise has shown most relays don't do this.

> But it is essentially the same problem as not being able
> to trace back as mentioned in A.1. I am just trying to understand
> which threats we are trying to address here.
>
> The only thing that seems seruous to me is the IPv6 spoofing
> and access control avoidance threat in your draft. (It might
> be better if you can move all the attacks to the main section
> and list the possible solution together with it).

Right, I'm not that worried about some of those DoS attacks myself either.

A problem with the draft is that it tries to address:

 1) problems which happen when no proper check haven't been implemented
 2) problems which happen when all proper checks have been implemented
 3) some solutions to 6to4 relay problem

So it may be a bit confusing, perhaps I should try to reorganize them
somehow...