Re: getaddrinfo address ordering [Re: IPv6 transition architecturediscussion]

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >These help quite a bit, but I guess adding some getaddrinfo hint like
> >AI_PREFERV4 or AI_PREFERV6 could be added in the case that DNS lookup
> >returns both addresses, you use AF_UNSPEC and you want to influence the
> >default DNS record ordering.
>
> 	i don't think it wise to have flag bit - if you pass AI_PREFERV4
> 	you will stuck with IPv4 even when IPv6 provides much better
> 	connectivity, and the curse won't go away until you recompile.

That's still better than apps shipping with AF_INET or no getaddrinfo at
all, right?

> 	leave it to default address selection rule and logic in getaddrinfo(3).

I'm not sure how default address selection, at least ones I've seen would
help with this.

Perhaps they don't implement _destination_ address selection.