Re: Ghost Route Hunter

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 05:34:52PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> At 14:30* it wasn't visible yet as a ghost route, at the
> next table collection at 14:45 it was visible as a ghost route
> in both the routers of Tilab and Noris.
> At 15:00 it was only visible on the Intouch router but it had
> spread quite rapidly already around the world creating a long ASpath.
> Then we retracted the route again and at 15:20 it fortunatly vanished.

I just want to point out that this is mostly normal BGP behaviour in
the face of highly meshed topologies and/or participating routers
with a slow CPU.

The way BGP works upon withdraw (figure out what's the "second best
path", and happily announce that path to all your neighbors, and
do not announce the next update before minute has passed!) it's pretty
normal for a route to "ghost around" for 30 minutes or even longer
after a full withdraw.  If you look at a BGP table in that time, the
path will be changing every few minutes.

You can observe this in the IPv4 world as well - if you withdraw a prefix
completely, and then do traceroutes on that route, you'll see that it
will be routed for quite a while before it finally is dropped from the
DFZ.  It usually takes 15-20 minutes, but the IPv4 world is much less
tightly meshed due to policitical reasons.

(This behaviour is also known from RIP, and from there it's also called
"count to infinity" for BGP)

The thing that I have called "Ghost Routes" was something different - one
of the routers involved not properly propagating the withdraw to all
his neighbors.  After all other paths have disappeared, this prefix is
still seen by the neighbor (no regular "full sync" in BGP) and believed
until the next session clear.  This can be seen in the routing table as
a static BGP path that isn't changing over many hours or in some cases
even over many days or weeks.

[..]
> Would this been a real announcement, eg by upgrading a /35 to a /32
> this would have caused a blackhole for the complete /32 unless
> the /35 would have been announced forever.

... for those 75 minutes, yes.

> One very important thing we saw with this small test was the fact
> that VERAT where originating the prefix at one moment.
> Also DFN (JOIN) which appears in about 90%+ of all the ghost routes
> should check up their equipment. Another possible important player
> in this could be AS10318 (Cablevision S.A.) which isn't even in the
> european continent nor peering directly with the ghosted prefixes.

I wouldn't point fingers at ASes and equipment yet (not without
evidence that the prefix really gets stuck for a longer time).

But it is strong evidence that the "6mess" needs to cleaned up
Real Soon Now, i.e.: don't give everybody *and the whole world behind
him* transit everyhwere.

[..]
> Currently there are still 4 big ghost routes floating around:
> - 3ffe:100::/24
> netname:      TELEBIT

Seconded, this looks very much like a ghost.  The paths that I observe
are completely unchanged since over 24 hrs.  From a cursory view, it
seems to be stuck in 1275 or between 1275 and 2603.

> - 3ffe:1400::/24
> netname:      UNI-C

I don't have that prefix.

> - 3ffe:1e00::/24
> ipv6-site:    SWISSCOM

Seconded.  Overly long AS paths, static since > 24 hrs.

> - 3ffe:8010::/28
> ipv6-site:    ICM-PL

Seconded.  Overly long AS paths, static since > 24 hrs.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  54136  (50279)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299