RE: [6bone] Ghost Route Hunter

Christian Schild [mailto:ipng@uni-muenster.de] wrote:

> Hi Jeroen, all,
>
> Am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2002 17:34 schrieb Jeroen Massar:
> > Also DFN (JOIN) which appears in about 90%+ of all the ghost routes
> > should check up their equipment. Another possible important player
>
> we are aware of this fact for quite some time now and it did not pass
> us unconcerned. Still, JOIN is one of the largest POPs in
> 6bone, so the high value might just be a consequence of this fact. We
discussed the
> route withdrawal problem with most of our peering partners and we are
> quite sure that we do not orginate them.

That's also the case for VBNS, HURRICANE, UUNET and ABILENE who pass
along many routes over their native connections. At this moment (17:20)
UUNET, GBLX, DFN, Caladan and VERAT carry all ghost routes. That's the
'problem' of being a transit :) Their equipment could be perfect but
apparently somebody downstream or upstream could peep it up.

> Anyway, as we are not certain of this, please note that we decided to
> exchange the equipment we use (no, it's currently _not_ a software
> router :-). This will happen this week.
>
> So please take this message also as an announcement that
> there will be
> an outage of the JOIN POP (involving/including all our leaf
> sites with prefix 3ffe:400::/24) on Wednesday, 4th December, hopefully

> only in the morning (CET).

Perfect! I like the fact that you respond and give a notice of the
fact that your actively pursuing the problems with ofcourse the target
to solve it.

Also 2 ghost routes have vanished already:

3ffe:100::/24 now only has a short path to 3263 (TELEBIT-DK).
Which was last seen at 2002-12-02 08:40.

3ffe:8010::/28 now only has a short path to 8664 (ICM-PL).
Which was last seen at 2002-12-02 15:10.

I due hope to hear comments from the concerned parties if they have
any relevant information about the disappearance of these ghosts.

Left are of which I heared nothing (yet, I hope):
3ffe:1400::/24
3ffe:1e00::/24

Greets,
 Jeroen