Re: on NAT-PT

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 13:13:24 +0530, Thakur, Anand wrote:

> hi christian,
> i don't think this a problem in na(p)t-pt, but more a problem in the way
> dns-alg works. for instance, if we could configure the dns-alg in such a way
> that it does the following:

Suppose a dual-stack client asks for an AAAA.

> 1)maintain a table which maps the source ip address of the dns query and the
> type of query ("A" or "AAAA")

Map that dual-stack client has asked for AAAA.

> 2)generate a dual-query ("A" + "AAAA") every time a dns query is detected.

Send A+AAAA queries. Suppose you receive A response only.

> 3)when it intercepts a dns response it should
> ->translate the "A" response to "AAAA" response if the original quey was
> "AAAA" and the response is "A" only

So, the A response is mapped to AAAA and send to the dual-stack client.
That's not what you want. You want the dual-stack client to communicate
over v4 transport with the destination. So, should not send a mapped
AAAA to the dual-stack client. The dual-stack client should retry and
ask for A.

	rvdp