Re: FW: 3gpp scenario 2

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 juha.wiljakka@nokia.com wrote:
> Our proposed solution concluding that "In most 3GPP scenarios it is
> preferred to use manually configured tunnels or EGP/IGP based tunneling
> mechanisms." is written in "3GPP analysis" chapter 3.2.
>
> In my comment below I just refer to using "IPv6 in IPv4" tunnels from
> the operator's network to other IPv6 islands - configured tunneling
> makes sense, if there is a limited number of other IPV6 islands you need
> to connect to. Note that we also state
>
>    "However, manually
>     configured tunnels can be an administrative burden when the number
>     of islands and therefore tunnels rises. Therefore it is also
>     possible to use dynamic tunneling mechanisms such as "6to4"
>     [RFC3056] and IGP/EGP routing protocol based tunneling mechanisms
>     [BGP][IGP]."
>
> in our analysis doc.

I think one should keep in mind that it's not necessary to reach every
IPv6 island directly (a usual justification for e.g. IGP/EGP tunneling).

I think we can pretty much discard [BGP][IGP] from scenario 2 too --
they're applicable for smaller-than-Internet scopes, which scenario 2 does
not seem to be at all.