Re: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-v6ops-6to4-security-01.txt

Pekka Savola wrote:

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Alain Durand wrote:

There are some aspects you somehow overlooked in your draft.

1. This attack by spoofing relay can be distributed to
a huge number of reflectors (just have to find their address
in the DNS). This changes quiet a lot of things, and
makes tracing the attack and stopping it very difficult.
For example, it is not clear how statistical analysis
done on packet sampling will work.

I meant to write about these a bit, but seemingly forgot. (I don't see this as a huge issue, as it seems to me that to succeed, this would require at least hundreds of relay routers.)

Maybe I was not very clear, I meant a single zombie
pretending to be a relay and sending a single packet
to a very large number of 6to4 hosts with IPv6 src
set to the victim machine.

   - Alain.