RE: FW: 3gpp scenario 2

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 juha.wiljakka@nokia.com wrote:
> can you give more (specific) comments on the applicability of IGP/EGP
> based tunneling mechanisms in scenario 2?  Scalability seems to be your
> main concern?

Let's consider the possible cases here (perhaps it should be clarified
which is the case in the particular scenario):

1) inside the GPRS network: if the 3GPP operator has a large backbone, it
may not have native IPv6 everywhere.  Tunneling may have to be used there.

Personally I think this is a non-issue, because as 3GPP is so heavily
IPv6, I don't see why anyone would bother deploying it without all the
network infrastructure (or most of it so it doesn't really matter) being
IPv6-enabled.

But if this is important, here something like [BGP][IGP] could be usable.
Not required, really, or maybe not even optimal, but they could be used.

2) outside the GPRS network, between the operator's network and the
Internet IPv6 (islands): there is no doubt some tunneling over IPv4 will
be needed _somewhere_.  But where?

 a) if the 3GPP operator is connected natively to an v6-enabled ISP, the
3GPP operator himself does not necessarily have to do anything: he can
more or less assume someone else (e.g. his ISP) is doing the bridging
between these IPv6 islands.

 b) if the 3GPP operator is connected to some IPv4 and IPv6 networks, it
may want to perform tunneling to some IPv6 islands over IPv4 itself.  This
is just a matter of routing and policy.

However, considering these two specific tools:

[IGP] is used in IGP only and IGP is not run across administrative
borders; so it's clearly useless.

[BGP] could theoretically be used, but its main area of applicability is
to enable automatic tunneling over IPv4-enabled core using IPv4/6 edge
routers (the typical case being an ISP's MPLS core network).  If this was
applied to the general Internet, it would basically mean that
participating islands would have to be have BGP sessions between them
using some tunneling techinique like 6to4, IPv4 eBGP multihop, etc.

So it seems to me neither of these is applicable in the context 2).

Perhaps this clarifies my point?