RE: FW: 3gpp scenario 2

 > On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Karim El-Malki (EAB) wrote:
 > >  > IGP/BGP tunneling and mechanisms like these are _additional
 > >  > complexity_.
 > >  >
 > >  > Such mechanisms should not be advocated -- in the face
 > of configured
 > >  > tunneling which is far superior for a small-to-moderate
 > >  > number of islands
 > >  > -- without a lot of care.
 > >
 > > I don't think it is possible to make such a clear-cut statement.
 > > The additional complexity gives you some advantages. If a path
 > > goes down the router knows about it for example. You can't have
 > > this in general with static routes.
 >
 > Configured tunneling does not have to mean static routes.
 > Static routes
 > are usually used because they're simple, and right tool for
 > most jobs.
 >
 > Many run routing protocols on top of configured tunnels,
 > thus there is no
 > problem you describe.

Don't think this is something we should recommend.
It would likely mean running a routing protocol to advertise the IPv4
tunnel endpoint address and a v6 routing protocol within the tunnel to
advertise the v6 routes. If we can run something like MP-BGP over v4
isn't that better? That's why I was assuming that configured tunnels
would be used with static routes.

/Karim