Request to Publish ISATAP

Hi All,

On December 13th, the OPS and Internet area directors received
a request to sponsor ISATAP as a standards track RFC, obsoleting
the automatic tunneling mechanism specified in RFC 2893 (see
attached). ISATAP would be submitted to the RFC editor for
publication as an individual submission.

Since that time, ISATAP has been updated. The newest version
can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-isatap-08.txt

Consistent with IESG policy, our area director has asked the
chairs of the v6ops WG whether the publication of this document
would constitute an end-run around the v6ops WG.

The v6ops chairs do believe that the publication of this
document would represent an end-run for two reasons:

(1) It is proposed that ISATAP would obsolete a portion
of RFC 2893. The v6ops WG is currently updating
RFC 2893, and it will be our decision whether or
not to remove the automatic tunneling mechanism.
ISATAP does not, and should not, obsolete that
mechanism.

(2) The v6ops WG is currently undergoing a process
to enumerate and analyze the expected scenarios
for IPv4 -> IPv4/IPv6 transition, with the
goal of producing a single, coordinated set
of transition mechanisms, each of which will
include appropriate applicability information.
The publication of a transition mechanism via
another track, before its applicability is
analyzed, would undermine this effort.

The v6ops chairs will be expressing this opinion to the IESG
in one week. We wanted the WG to be aware of this situation,
and we would welcome your feedback regarding our position.

Thanks,
Margaret and Itojun
v6ops Chairs

---