Re: Review Requested: SMTP IPv6 operational experience document

Nice to see that Dean made an indepth review of the draft.

Here's my review as an individual WG member.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Pekka Savola wrote:
>    draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement-08.txt
>
> Please send comments, preferably in a week, by 26th January, either to
> the v6ops list (preferable), or directly to itojun (acting as the
> editor) and the chairs.

First, I have to say that the beginning of the document (up to section
3 or so), is in an AWFUL English shape.  Please review those in
detail, even though I mention many of the editorial problems.

I assume that this draft is going for Informational (and not e.g.
BCP).

bigger issues
-------------

IPv6-only MTA to IPv4-only MTA case could use help from IPv6-to-IPv4
translators such as [Hagino, 2001] , however, there are no special SMTP
considerations for translators needed; If there is SMTP traffic from an
IPv6 MTA to an IPv4 MTA over an IPv6-to-IPv4 translator, the IPv4 MTA
will consider this as a normal IPv4 SMTP traffic.  Protocols like IDENT
[St.Johns, 1993] as well as SMTP HELO/EHLO may require special
consideration when translators are used.

==> the latter, esp. SMTP EHLO/HELO is pretty important part of the
scope of this document (aren't we interested of SMTP?), so it should
probably elaborated a bit more.

There are several technologies defined for the transition from IPv4 to
IPv6.  This document concentrates on SMTP issues in a dual-stack
environment, e.g. delivery of emails from IPv6-only MTA to IPv4-only MTA
is outside of the scope of the document.

IPv6-only MTA to IPv4-only MTA case could use help from IPv6-to-IPv4
translators such as [Hagino, 2001] , however, there are no special SMTP
considerations for translators needed; If there is SMTP traffic from an
IPv6 MTA to an IPv4 MTA over an IPv6-to-IPv4 translator, the IPv4 MTA
will consider this as a normal IPv4 SMTP traffic.  Protocols like IDENT
[St.Johns, 1993] as well as SMTP HELO/EHLO may require special
consideration when translators are used.

The following sections explain how to make IPv4 SMTP and IPv6 SMTP
coexist in a dual-stack environment.

This document does not discuss the problems encountered when the sending
MTA and the receiving MTA have no common protocol (e.g. the sending MTA
is IPv4-only while the receiving MTA is IPv6-only).  Such a situation
should be resolved by making either side dual-stack or by making either
side use a protocol translator.

==> 1, 2 and 4th paragraph seem to be slightly at odds with each another,
and the third seems out of place.  One should unify the text a bit, e.g.,
officially include discussion of the translators (etc.) or put them in an
Appendix and refer to that in the introduction.

     example.org.            IN MX   1  mx1.example.org.
                             IN MX   10 mx10.example.org.
     mx1.example.org.        IN AAAA 3ffe:501:ffff::1
     mx10.example.org.       IN AAAA 3ffe:501:ffff::2

==> the IPv6 examples should use something more closely resemling a
"documentation prefix", at this time, the closest would probably be
2001:db8::/32.

4.  MX configuration in the recipient domain

4.1.  Ensuring reachability for both protocol versions

If a site has dual-stack reachability, the site SHOULD configure both A
and AAAA records for its MX hosts (NOTE: MX hosts can be outside of the
site).  This will help both IPv4 and IPv6 senders to reach the site
efficiently.

==> you use uppercase keyword, but don't define them.  However, for an
operational document (and not a protocol specification, with
interoperability requirements) like this, it would be better to not
use them at all, i.e., s/SHOULD/should/ or the like.

7.  Security considerations

It could be problematic if the route-addr email address format is used
across multiple scope zones.  MTA's would need to reject email with
improper route-addr email address formats.

==> this is the first time you mention "route-addr".  You should provide a
bit more background to this issue.