Opportunistic Tunneling

Hi,

As the Unmanaged Analysis document is currently at WG Last Call, the
biggest issue appears to be the so-called "opportunistic tunneling",
i.e., automatic tunneling which would be possible without set-up or
ISP support.  Examples of these are 6to4 and Teredo. (No other
specific proposals have been made.)  We need to figure out how to move
forward.  The critical questions are at least:

 1) Do we agree that this is something we need in the first place?
     * Considering user-driven deployment, maybe not.
        - example: the user says "I want to use application X" or "I
          want to use functionality Y", where X or Y would require
          IPv6.
     * Considering large-scale vendor-centric deployment, probably
       yes.

 2) What are the models for deploying relays, considering the economic
    or deployment considerations (in-host, in-site, network)?
     * And what are the implications of any approach?
     * Can we decide on the recommended model?

 3) For NAT traversing, opportunistic tunneling, are there any
    features in Teredo which are missing or are unnecessary? I.e.,
    how good a fit would it be?  Are there alternatives?

We're soliciting input on how to best handle this situation.  Please
send feedback to the chairs or on the list.  Tentatively, we're
scheduling 20-30 minutes for discussion in Seoul, but how productive
such discussion would be would depend on the framing and the contents
of presentations and/or discussion.

Please send your ideas (if any).

 Thanks,
  Pekka & Jonne