AW: IPv6 in MPLS Networks

Hi Pekka,

scanning my several mailing lists I found your email and want to provide my 2 cents to the discussion.

IMHO the BGPTUNNEL approach is a solution which could serve ISPs with a very large MPLS infrastructure very well.
The background of this is, that if a realy large ISP want's to implement a new service in it's platform (like IPv6) than it want's to touch as less as possible. BGPTUNNEL gives the ISP the possibility to leave the LSRs/PSs as they are (without any change in control or forwarding plane) and only the LERs/PEs have to be upgraded. The overhead for the IPv6 transport is only one MPLS label (which is IMHO acceptable) and this ensures that you get the same forwarding performance in the MPLS core (as for IPv4) and that you don't run in trouble with IPv6 routing insite your MPLS core.

Besides that, the costs for updating the software of several thousands of routers are pretty high (in comparission to the actual IPv6 business case ;-), so that IMHO the BGPTUNNEL is a very good approach (at least for the first step !) for an IPv6 service offer based on a MPLS backbone. The later steps of an IPv6 integration could be than approach 2 and approach 1 from your email.
(BTW sometimes you have to upgrade your HW as well if you want to realise "native" IPv6 MPLS and thats real expensive.)

Best regards
	Olaf