proto-41 forwarding vs NAT traversal [Re: Tunneling scenarios and mechanisms evaluation]

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> I agree with Alain, that the way proto-41 fits. I'm not sure if we
> can call this NAT traversal, so may be rewording to NAT traversal or
> proto-41-forwarding ?

Alain did not mention proto 41 forwarding at all.. so I'm not sure
where you got that.

NAT traversal must work in a reasonably high number of different NAT
boxes.  Proto-41 forwarding does not.  Of course, it can still be used
as an optimization in the case it's being supported, but the case
where it matters is basically the tunnel-server like approaches (TSP
and STEP) which already support or will support NAT traversal.