Re: static vs dynamic

----- Original Message From: "bill" <bmanning@karoshi.com>
> > > I think you're missing the context here.  Would you build an
> > > application which would only work if the user's IPv6 address is
> > > static, and not for the others?
> > >
> > > At least when I have coded apps, I have to design them to work with
> > > everyone :).
> >
> > Yup. In particular, applications must work on laptops. When a laptop
> > roams to a new WiFi hot spot, it gets a new address. Applications are
> > expected to go on working...
> >
> > -- Christian Huitema
>
> three areas where static wins big:
>
> ) BGP peering
> ) DNS servers
> ) Network Management
>
> Sorry folks, there are things that (until there is a compelling reason to
dump them)
> will pretty much require static IP addresses.  Good Luck.

I tend to agree that there will be cases where some IP addresses will need
to stay static. For example many devices have a static loop back address
used to identify it to the network management which would have a hard time
understanding what devices are during the autodiscovery process if the same
device changes addresses but not location or connections.

Where you have devices that change connections (like laptops or PCs on DHCP)
then you need to support changing addresses, but for peering (AS to AS or
BGP) and DNS servers or network (or element) managers these need to have a
static address or the services will not continue to work.