Re: ISATAP, v6inv4 and 6to4 tunnel interworkings [RE: ISATAP vs a lter natives in 3GPP [Re: comments on draft-ietf-v6 ops-3gpp-analysis-0 9 .txt] ]

Fred Templin wrote:

Pekka Savola wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Fred Templin wrote:
[...]

      -  the IPv4 source address is a member of the Potential Router
         List (see: section 9.1).

Neglecting for the moment the middlemost of the three checks, we see that
the first check accepts link local IPv6 source addresses that embed the IPv4
source address in the interface identifier. However, the third check also
accepts link local IPv6 source addresses that *do not* embed the IPv4
source address - so long as the IPv4 source address is in the Potential
Router List - and this is the part that could cause trouble.

The fix suggestion is to modify the third check in the list to exclude
packets with IPv6 link-local source addresses from the check, forcing
IPv6 link-locals to be either verified or rejected via the first check only.
Comments?

I see no harm in that.

OK, but I am still checking my thinking on this. I'm now thinking that my suggestion might foul things up for protocols that require a means for detecting L2 address changes due to, e.g., a NAT in the path.

Umm - sorry. That would be a Teredo concern (not ISATAP) and
outside the scope of 'ip-proto-41' tunneling.

Fred
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com