Re: [tcpm] TCP, multiple addresses and soft errors when connecting

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Fernando Gont wrote:
> At 14:30 02/04/2004 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >What I propose as a way forward for this specific Informational
> >document:
> >  1) state the reasons why this specific connect() etc. behaviour is
> >desirable (read: why many vendors have already done that), and what
> >drawbacks it could have (if any), and
>
> I agree.

Great.

> >  2) state the desire for getting a better higher-level API which would
> >handle all of this and much more (instead of/in addition to 1), but
> >mention why this is not an only practical solution.
>
> What do you mean "this is not an only practical solution"?

What I should have said if "but mention why this is would not be a
practical solution, if there were no other solutions".

That is, new APIs would be great, but we cannot stop fixing problems
current APIs until we have something more concrete out there.
Otherwise we'd end up with no practically (in short term) deployable
solution.