Re: ISATAP, v6inv4 and 6to4 tunnel interworkings [RE: ISATAP vs alter natives in 3GPP [Re: comments on draft-ietf-v6 ops-3gpp-analysis-09 .txt] ]

Fred,

Thanks. I've PDF'ed the picture in case anyone here is PPT-challenged.

Fred Templin wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Can somebody draw me a picture? [Emphasis on the word "useful."]
> >

> Brian,
>
> Attached, please find a rough-cut and incomplete picture. It depicts
> two administrative domains (A and B), each with a node that is
> engaged in a peer-to-peer session (a.com and b.com). Domain A
> uses a native IPv6 prefix space and has delegated a portion of the
> space to a (b)router upstream from the node "a.com". Domain B
> uses a 6to4 prefix space and has delegated portions of the space
> to a hierarchically nested pair of (b)routers upstream from node
> "b.com".
>
> If the DNS entries for 'a.com' and 'b.com' are populated with AAAA
> resource records as shown in the picture, one could view the presence
> of the ISATAP-format link local addresses

Well, I wouldn't expect those AAAA records to be visible outside the
originating sites. They would typically be suppressed by a 2-faced DNS
setup.

I don't think the link local address you have for b.com is correct,
anyway. Inside site B, link locals are formed using Ethernet addresses
or whatever. The hosts inside a 6to4 site have no knowledge of 6to4.

> as an unambiguous
> indication that the nodes "support the protocol",

I regard it as highly unlikely that site B would contain logic to
identify fe80::0200:5efe:0506:0708 as a foreign ISATAP-like address.
Site B is running 6to4; why would it have any ISATAP-related code active?

> and could use
> the ISATAP link-local address as the IPv6 next-hop toward
> the final destination.
>
> The picture shows a stream of packets emanating from a.com towards
> b.com (and, similarly, for packets emanating from b.com towards
> a.com). These outbound packets would be encapsulated using ISATAP
> and it would appear from IPv6's perspective that they are being
> "bridged" up to the edge of the remote peer's domain (although there
> would still need to be some flavor of NDproxy in operation). Once the
> inbound packets hit the edge of the remote peer's domain, the packets
> would be decapsulated and steered towards the final destination
> within the domain via the delegated IPv6 prefix information.
>
> The question comes when we consider the inbound packets
> arriving at the edge of administrative domain B. Does the edge
> node use 6to4 or ISATAP to decapsulate the packets. (And, does
> it even matter?)

Well, as noted, I don't see any reason that site B would have an ISATAP
interface active. It won't know that 3ffe:1::1 is anything unusual.
Similarly, site A won't have any 6to4 code active. It won't know that
2002:0506:0708::1 is anything unusual. They will both send as if these are
native addresses, and receive in their normal way (native at site A and
6to4 decapsulation at site B).

At least that's what I think.

   Brian