Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-00.txt

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
[...]
> > There doesn't have to be stored state if the IPv4 address is embedded
> > completely or encoded in a reversible fashion in the IPv6 address.
>
> Which isn't the case in configured tunnels, hence my puzzlement at why
> we would do it this way.

I general, exactly; this would have problems.

In specific, there has been discussion of different tunnel server
models (e.g., see Alains requirements document).  It could be very
simple to figure out a solution which would give a user an IPv6 /128
address which would embed the topographical v4 address (similar but
simpler compared to e.g. what one could do with ISATAP).