RE : ISP requirement was:(RE: POLL: Consensus for moving forward with Teredo?)

There is no intend to stale anything here. The point is just about spefic
addressing, as already discussed in another thread.

> > - it is host oriented and not routeur/network oriented.
>
> And your point is ???  If complaining about teredo is about
> preventing IPv6 deployment until the ISP is good and ready to
> offer service, you should look closely at the IETF's role.
> The IETF is about standardizing the mechanisms used, not any
> specific provider's service offerings. If a provider doesn't
> want their customers to use teredo, they can always block the
> UDP port.

I mean that other mechanisms enabling a network or a router to get
IPv6 connectivity and adresses should move forward, as well. The idea
is to standardize as soon as possible tools enabling ISP to be good
and ready and not the opposite.

> > Teredo is usually identified as a deployment solution without ISPs,
> > and obviously does not meet their requirements.
>
> WRONG. It is about getting service when the first-hop service
> provider is lame. Many people are in a position where they
> can not select an alternative ISP, so they need something
> that will get them across an ISP that doesn't understand the
> term 'service'. As long as ANY service provider is willing to
> deploy a teredo service, the end user can start using IPv6
> enabled applications without waiting for their IPv4 provider.

This is the way I understood "without ISP support" that is connected
to unman 1.1 scenario, and  not to unman 1.2 and unman 2 scenarios.
Distinction between service provider, IP provider and ISP maybe
confusing anyway.
> > So, even if I don't really see
> > the deployment model, why not simply deploy the same
> mechanism, first
> > by non-ISPs and later by "real" ones ?
>
> Something appears to have been lost in the translation here.
> What mechanism are you talking about? The later end game is
> native IPv6 service, and the transition mechanisms are about
> deploying applications prior to the ISP providing that. What
> mechanism is useful in both cases?

I guess TB+TSP may apply in both cases (deploying applications and
providing IPv6 connectivity and service) and it may be aesier to move
from one another when provided by different roles. Indeed this is
not a MUST.

I hope this comes a bit clearer. Thanks for your comments.

Alain.