Re: REVIEW NEEDED: draft-durand-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-00.txt

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 16:34, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> Hi Florent,
>
> I believe that asking the customer to do so is, in the majority of the
> cases too much. While doing it automatically is very simple and the
> extra work on the client side implementation pays for the value added.
> In the worst case it should be an implementation issue (so a SHOULD
> ?), and the market will decide with product is best ;-)

Florent mentioned that user-side-configuration is optional, that is
why he mentioned the 'wildcard encapsulation'.

To rephrase:

The configuration protocol can easily see if it is a NAT or not.

Clients MAY request ANY, UDP or Proto-41 as encaps.

When the encaps is ANY the client sends the IP it think it has globally
to the configuration server, which compares it with the actual
connection origin, different -> NAT -> use UDP. Otherwise it can safely
assume proto-41.

Additionally:

Clients MAY also check if they have an RFC1918 address, they then also
know that they are behind a NAT.

Greets,
 Jeroen