Re: v6-in-v4 configured tunneling over v4 multicast (vs 6over4)

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 09:21:55AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
[...]
> If you want to create point-to-multipoint tunnels over v4 multicast
> infrastructure, wouldn't the obvious solution be simply using
> configured tunneling?  That is, you configure the tunnel destination
> v4 address to be a multicast address (this requires zero code
> changes), and the decapsulators configure their "local end" to be the
> multicast address (requires code change in the tunnel setup tool to
> permanently join the specified multicast address)?
>
> This would seem to act like a "statically mapped", simplified
> alternative to 6over4 which would only require an
> implementation-specific addition to join the multicast group.

Are you saying that all hosts that are to share a virtual link, will
use the same tunnel? So that all communications between all these
hosts will be sent to one single multicast group that they all join?

I think 6over4 would do better, and it's not hard to implement either.

Stig