Re: v6-in-v4 configured tunneling over v4 multicast (vs 6over4)

> Not necessarily -- sorry for failing to say that explicitly in the
> first place (you guys couldn't read my mind yet?!?! :).  See the note
> I wrote to Stig for clarification.

I didn't understand that note.

> In other words, such "multicast tunnels" would be only used for very
> specific applications, one tunnel per (group of) applications, as a
> means to leverage existing v4 multicast infrastructure to obtain the
> benefit of no multicast->unicast conversion/duplication in the
> network.

For those "specific applications" (whatever that means) you'd end up with
having everything that enters the tunnel interface on the sender being sent
to the "tunnel endpoint", which you stated is an IPv4 multicast address.

If you are thinking about only using the multicast to discovery a unicast
address of the tunnel endpoint on a per IPv6 nexthop basis,
then I think you are recreating something isomorphic to 6over4.

  Erik