From: dnsop-v6conf-bounces@nominum.com
[mailto:dnsop-v6conf-bounces@nominum.com]On Behalf Of ext Jaehoon Paul
Jeong
Sent: 03 June, 2004 04:10
To: dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
Cc: IPv6 DNS Configuration
Subject: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS Server

Hello DNSOP members,

As you know, a new draft has been published for IPv6 Host Configuration of DNS Server Information Approaches:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-configuration-00.txt

For a long time, DNS Discovery has been discussed at both IPv6 and DNSOP working groups.
The long discussion seems to be resolved through this draft.

In this draft, three approaches are suggested: (a) RA option, (b) DHCPv6 option, and
(c) Well-known anycast addresses for Recursive DNS Servers.
We, authors, used "DNS Configuration" instead of "DNS Discovery" because recursive DNS server address is
only configured in IPv6 host, not generating DNS server address like in IPv6 address autoconfiguration.

This draft focuses on describing the attributes of three approaches and suggesting four applicable scenarios:
(a) ISP network, (b) Enterprise network, (c) 3GPP network, (d) Unmanaged network.

Through your review and comments, this will be published as Informational RFC according to our milestones.
IMHO, if necessary, the drafts of two other approaches except DHCPv6 option will be developed into separate RFCs.

Thanks.

Paul,
IPv6 DNS Configuration Design Team.

Jaehoon Paul Jeong (Research Engineer)
TEL. +82-42-860-1664
Mobile +82-16-711-1765
161 Gajeong-dong Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-350, Korea
NGI Standardization Research Team/PEC/ETRI
Homepage: http://www.adhoc.6ants.net/~paul