Re: I-D ACTION:draft-blanchet-v6ops-tunnelbroker-tsp-01.txt

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 21:41, Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> 	Title		: IPv6 Tunnel Broker with the Tunnel Setup Protocol(TSP)

<SNIP>

Things I am wondering about(tm):

"2.1  NAT Discovery"
It mentions to choose UDP over IPv4, is there a spec of this protocol?
Also it mentions that it will pick 'the most effective protocol even in
dynamic situations when the clients moves', which one is that?

In: "On the IPv6 layer, if the client uses user authentication, the same
IPv6 address and prefix are kept and re-established.  On the IPv6 layer,
there is no change of address."
The last sentence is a duplicate or clarification I assume?

"If there is no IPv4 NAT is detected in the path by
the TSP server, then IPv6 over IPv4 encapsulation is used."

Reprase to "If no IPv4 is detected in the path..."

Note that there are *many* ISP/transits that blindly filter proto-41 and then
the tunnel will not work. Of course they could also filter UDP for that matter...

"2.3  Mobility", would it not be easier and more effective to use heartbeats here?
Renegotiating all the parameters would cause a delay and cause packets to be dropped.

"3.  Advantages of TSP" Advantages over what? There is no other Tunnel Setup Protocol defined :)

For 4.x: What was actually the reason for not picking a full HTTP/1.1 or SOAP protocol?
Implementing clients would then be much easier as many HTTP clients already exist also
that could allow Apache (or IIS ;) for instance to be used as a server.

The Security Considerations should note that due to the many spoof-open networks it is
very easy to inject a packet into the network stream of v6udpv4 packets and pose as the
original sender. One could thus easily disrupt the tunnel. Same for proto-41 tunnels.
Also see http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-47/presentations/ripe47-ipv6-tunnel-disco.pdf

Greets,
 Jeroen