Re: DSTM

On 24-jun-04, at 14:45, Francis Dupont wrote:

It might be better to create an IPv4-in-IPv6 tunneling mechanism that
treats the IPv6 network as an IPv4 link layer and run standard IPv4
protocols such as ARP and DHCP over that. (Similar to 6over4 but the
other way around.)

=> "4over6" won't solve the same kind of problems, for instance
it couldn't help to communicate with an old IPv4-only-for-ever printer.

So how does DSTM solve this?

I was assuming there would be a v4-over-tunnel cloud and a native v4 cloud, and obviously some kind of connection between both clouds.

In DSTM there is a single place where this happens: the gateway where the tunnels terminate. "4over6" could be more flexible as packets don't necessarily flow through a single gateway. We may even provide for some kind of "proxy 4over6" tunneling so that IPv4-only hosts in otherwise IPv6-only networks may enjoy connectivity.