Re: [dccp] Re: DCCP and draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault-01.txt

Long cc: list... :(

As a status update, the TCP part has been put in a separate draft -- draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-00.txt. What is the status wrt. the modification you propose in DCCP?

The DCCP specs do not talk about network layer interactions like ICMP. That is probably a new draft we'll eventually have to work on.

It would indeed be possible to provide an API for the application to
act on the soft error information.  However, I think the application
still cannot ignore the SYN-SENT/SYN-RECEIVED state issues due to
security reasons (otherwise anyone could start aborting the ongoing
connections for those who use the API).

In other words, it would be possible to provide an API (e.g., a socket option that could be set) which would abort the connection if it receives a soft error in SYN-SENT/RECEIVED states.

This is trivial at the application level: simply turn off the "soft errors are hard" API once connect() has completed. I think embedding SYN-SENT/RECEIVED knowledge in any kernel/user API is a bad idea.

Another alternative is to make the change by default, but provide the
identical API (e.g., a socket option) which would prevent the address
cycling --

This assumes that all address cycling will happen below the application, which is doubtful.

Eddie