Re: 9/9/2004 IP6.INT Removal (Was: 9/9/2006 : ip6.int shutdown?)

> > i think that you should spend your efforts trying to get the .INT
> > content mirrored in .ARPA somehow.  such as contacting the folks
> > who own the delegations you have in .INT and teaching them how to
> > re-register their content in .ARPA, such as by going through their
> > RIR's.
>
> 	not all entries in the .int tree are RIR related. the most
> 	obvious is 3ffe::/16.

3ffe::/16 goes "poof" on june 6 2006 if i recall correctly.  no worries.

>	It does not help that the IETF has a BCP/PS RFC that
>	prohibits any entry in ip6.arpa that is not an RIR
>	managed block.

that's a political issue that i think folks here could take all sides of.

> > what's the standard for "noticable"?  1qps?  10qps?  100qps?  what
> > are you seeing, in qps, today?
>
> 	the standard is likely different for different people.
> 	we did have this same discussion - about 10 years ago
> 	when there was a proposal to shut down in-addr.arpa and
> 	move the v4 reverse anchor to ip4.int... :)

i remember.  the problem was, the installed base was too large to consider
such a thing.  it was worth of study, and there was a study, and in the end
it was decided that changing it would be a bad idea.

> 	as to qps, not so many, but that may be due to the fact that
> 	once sites get the RIR, 6bone, and other delegations cached,
> 	they don't come back too often.

then you could safely just do nothing, right?