Re: ISATAP scenario

-- On Tuesday, August 03, 2004 17:58:30 +0200, Christian Schild wrote:

The solution we offer now is a homegrown tunnel broker based on OpenVPN
which is much more complex and requires much more interaction and
knowledge of the user.

Complexity here is more related to your implementation. I suggest you take a look at the TSP broker implementation (client code available on www.freenet6.net, multiple platforms supported). From the user point of view, this is a service that runs in the backgroud which keeps your IPv6 connectivity up and running. And you get NAT traversal as a bonus.

My point here is simply that tunnel broker/assisted tunneling solution can be as simple to the enduser as other mechanisms.

Beforehand we planned to use ISATAP for such
single hosts, but as Tim mentioned, unfortunately USAGI dropped ISATAP
and now there is no such support in linux kernels. So we had to drop
that solution as we could no longer offer support for all main operating
systems in our network.

So you might agree, there is a real demand for ISATAP and it's a pity it
should go experimental track now, given the facts, that there is a real
scenario for it, that it is (was) already implemented and that latest
discussion showed it could be a solution in 3gpp scenarios.

This was mentionned during the v6ops meeting:

<http://www.linux-ipv6.org/ml/usagi-announce/msg00102.html>.
"remove ISATAP because it is (1) rather obsolete and (2) of IPR <http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/sri-ipr-draft-ietf-ngtrans-isatap.txt>."

Fred T. reported that is was put back in USAGI 2.4.

Florent