Re: ISATAP scenario

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Christian Schild wrote:
> I partly agree. The OpenVPN solution might be quite similar to yours.
>
> Still, it is a difference if a user has to install a software, configure
> and maybe troubleshoot it, or if he just has to activate a service
> (which e.g. is one of the beauties of 6to4 and probably made it a
> success story).

IMHO, the point here is that if we could have an agreed-on
(standardized) mechanism, the vendors could include such software
automatically and enable it as well.  Then it would be dead simple.
Such an implementation could probably be userspace-only, making it
even easier to implement and deploy. (All the ISATAP implementations
I've seen have required kernel modifications, making the deployment a
bit trickier.)

Why they haven't done so already is (I think) because there are about
5 different solutions, none of them sufficiently widely adopted or
deployed; they want as few mechanisms as possible, ones which also
have the potential to be provided by some ISPs, enterprises, or
whatever.