RE: Proposed way forward with the transition mechanisms

> Lightweight is an undefined term.

Right.

The term however is used in draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis-10.txt to indicate,
I would assume, something along the following lines wrt capabilities:
* should be compatible with the constrains of the 3G links and
the capabilities of the the 3G UE
* the number of features (e.g. NAT traversal etc)
demanded by the tunnelling service are limited.
At least this is what I intended it to mean.

- And yes, this is still not very precise.
Luckily now though, given that the wg should produce a zeroconf
tunnelling requirements document, we should
be able to move away from relying on this vaque term only.

> As far as I can see, ISATAP adds extra data structures and
> extra state machine logic to the basic proto 41 encapsulation/
> decapsulation logic that every 3GPP device will need anyway.

Yes. Again I would assume that so would any mechs relying on
automated address assignment and proto 41 encapsulation opposed to manual
confiuration of the latter.

> The question is whether that costs more or less silicon and power
> than the alternatives. Until the alternatives have been defined,
> that question has no answer.

Yes (of course).
This with the twist though, that based on the requirements put forward (the
assisted-tunnelling draft) then these, yet to be defined, alternatives
will have to come with a lot of features not required by the 3GPP environment.

> Of course, 3GPP could decide to make its choice before the
> alternatives have been defined and evaluated, but that would
> be an act of faith.

It might be a legitimate choice, to meet
> deadlines, but we should be clear about it.

I agree about the last part.

I think that if what we have works
and meets the time constrains (whereas the yet to be defined
won't) then faith doesn't really come into it.

Karen