Re: bogus route announcements on IETF wireless LAN

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:01:45AM +0200, Simon Leinen wrote:

> If my host implemented RFC 3484, I could probably deprecate all these
> prefixes, but unfortunately it doesn't.  So I have to disable
> stateless address autoconfiguration (which is a pain) or use IPv4 :-(

Maybe, but it would be interesting to see which OS's actually implement
this properly.

> So PLEASE turn off IPv6 router advertisements on your laptops.

One other possibility is to see what sort of support there is for the
default router preferences method (draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection) such
that the "proper" RA could be made with a high priority, and any client
observing that priority could ignore all the "accidental" medium (default)
priority RAs from laptops/etc.   What's the implementation status of this
draft?

Of course the flip side will be "errant" nodes advertising high priority
routes in a network where the default RA priority is the desired one...

Tim